Thursday, May 05, 2005

Dancing Music

The Family Man gets down with his kids.

Tonight after work Chris, Tommy and I headed down to the local garden center to get some mulch for the garden. We hooked up the utility trailer to the SUV (Yes, the one with the personalized license plates – check the archives) and we were on our way.

We had barely cleared the driveway when both boys simultaneously said, “Turn on the dancing music, Dad!”

I have a CD in the player that is a compilation of some of the songs I’ve been listening to lately when working out. It’s an eclectic mix, mostly upbeat tunes that cross genres. It’s come to be called ‘dancing music’ because one afternoon when we were going somewhere it was playing and I was bobbing my head along with the music. From the back pipes up Chris, my four-year old – “Dad, you’re dancing in the car!”

From that moment on that collection has come to be called ‘Dancing Music.”

Each boy has their favorite song on the CD. Tommy likes ‘Juke Box Hero.’ Chris likes ‘Wild Wild West.’ Right now I’m partial to ‘Men in Black’ and ‘Talk to You Later.’

So I fire up the Dancing Music and off we go. We pull up to the first stop light. The windows are down and ‘Wild Wild West is booming from the speakers. The SUV is rocking and all three of us are shaking like bobble-head dolls in a California earthquake. A Ford Taurus with a young, serious looking couple pulls up next to us. They look up at me, look over and see the boys, roll up their window and snap their heads forward.

I look back at my boys, having a great time. The light turns green and we’re off, just three guys on a road trip, having fun.

It’s great to be The Family Man.

No comments: