Sunday, May 22, 2005

Bed Check II

I’ve mentioned before in this journal that, as I am the last one to bed in my house most nights, I always look in on each of my two boys to make sure they are okay before I go to sleep. I’ve done it every night since my oldest was born – coming up on five years now.

Occasionally I will find one or the other with all covers kicked off, or half hanging out of the bed. I have found each boy completely on the floor on a couple of occasions. Most nights I simply watch them sleep for a moment, adjust their covers slightly, gently kiss them on the forehead and head off to bed.

Lately, however, my oldest boy Chris will tell me as we’re tucking him in that he intends to sleep “upside down” in his bed, meaning his feet on his pillows and his head at the other end. It goes something like this:

“Goodnight, Chris.”

“Dad, I’m going to sleep with my feet here,” pointing at his pillows, “and my head here,” pointing to the foot of his bed.

Doing my best to put a stern look on my face, I say, “Chris, you’ll sleep with your head here,” pointing at his pillows, “and your feet there,” pointing the other way.

“Dad, Dad, okay, let me tell you,” he says, grinning mischievously, “My head here,” pointing to one side of his bed, “and feet here,” pointing the opposite way.

“Head here.” I point directly at the pillows. “Feet here.” Pointing down.

“No, Dad,” he laughs, “Head here, feet there,” he says, pointing in about eight different directions.

I wrestle him under the covers and tuck him in tightly, saying “I’ll just hold you here all night then!”

We wrestle a bit more until I finally subdue him with tickles. I kiss him one last time and say goodnight. Pausing at his door, I look back at him, already starting to doze off.

Two hours later, making my rounds, I check on him.

Sleeping soundly.

Feet on his pillows, head the other way.

Smiling.

It’s great to be The Family Man.

1 comment:

:| raven |: said...

what a great post.

i used to check on my son ... every night .. until he turned 18 and moved out of the house the first time. he never knew that i continued it ...

i couldn't go to sleep until i went in and made sure he was covered ( he was very restless and the covers often on the floor) ... and that he was "okay" ....

this invoked a lot of memories .. thanks for sharing it.