Monday, May 16, 2005

Ambush

The second I walked into the house after work today I knew something was wrong. There was stillness, an eerie quiet. Normally I’m greeted with the shouts of my two boys wanting to tell me all about their day.

Tonight – nothing.

Warily I walked through the kitchen, tense, alert. I saw nothing, heard nothing. Where was my family? What was going on?

Moving slowly, carefully, quietly, I crept into the living room, straining to hear or see anything that would give me a clue as to what was going on, when I was suddenly, brutally cut down but a fusillade of…

Pillows!

War cries erupted from Chris and Tommy as they leapt over the back of the couch, the attack on, the ambush successful. They were on me in a flash, I had no chance. Still reeling from the pillows, I turned to flee but they took me down like a tiger takes a gazelle. Pulling me to the floor, they proceeded to pummel me senseless with the same pillows they used to cut me down. Gamely I struggled, but it was hopeless. It was over. I was lost.

Triumphantly they sat on my chest, looked down on me, and with wild, happy smiles they said, “How was your day, Dad?”

It’s great to be The Family Man.

NOTE: This story is in no way meant to make light of the dangers faced by the United States Armed Forces in Iraq, Afghanistan and other areas of the world. In fact The Family Man and his family are grateful for the sacrifices made daily by our troops, giving us the security to worry about little more than a pillow attack. God Bless our troops.

3 comments:

Avery's mom said...

how funny...your boys ambush!
cant wait till my little one is here and we get a chance to play.

keesh said...

I love your blog! it is great how much you enjoy your boys!

Anonymous said...

you are so lucky! and this last one also stuck a cord! yes GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS! I cant wait till our family man comes home. Because we had days like those. Yes, it is good to be the family man!.....c