Sunday, September 18, 2005

Special K

A couple of weeks ago Chris started kindergarten. This is a pretty big deal. Our first son, off to kindergarten. Growing up. Away from home, in formal education, five days a week.

So why am I not wistful, sad, feeling depressed?

From what I have read, been told and seen firsthand, I should be feeling all of these things.

MBW is feeling a bit of this, although not much. Part of the reason, I think, is that she is his kindergarten teacher. So her emotions are a bit different from many moms who have sent their children off to kindergarten.

I’m actually very happy for Chris. He is a very friendly, outgoing boy. The social experience will be great for him. He will thrive in kindergarten. When I get home from work he is very excited to tell me about his day. He’s making friends, having fun, and, as an added bonus, learning some things.

I do feel some sadness about Chris going to kindergarten, though it has nothing to do with Chris.

I feel badly for Tommy.

Since MBW and I both work outside the home, we needed daycare when Chris was born. Rather than go to a drop off daycare facility, we hired a woman to come to our house to take care of him. This continued when Tommy was born. So both Chris and Tommy have grown up playing together in our home. Chris had two years by himself, but Tommy has never known a day without Chris in the house.

Now Chris is gone five days a week for about three hours. And Tommy is sad.

So we have Tommy going to a preschool for a couple of hours two days a week, and MBW has some play dates set up for him each week. Still, it is frustrating to Tommy – once again, Chris gets to do something he cannot do.

I mentioned in an earlier post that Tommy called MBW ‘stupid’ when he was having an issue over something. Some readers pointed out that this is more than ‘spirited’ behavior, and is in fact disrespectful. I agree, and perhaps the tone of that post was a bit more frivolous than I intended it to be. What I have come to realize, in the past couple of weeks, is that Tommy is using the word ‘stupid’ to express his frustration at things that he feels are beyond his ability to control. He’s now saying, for example, that it is ‘stupid’ to be little. He says this because ‘big boys’ go to kindergarten, ‘big boys’ get to ride in ‘big boy’ car seats, and ‘big boys’ get to ride bikes without training wheels. Most of all, ‘big boys’ get to go to ‘real school’ and Tommy only gets to go to ‘preschool.’

All of this is, of course, ‘stupid.’

So I have spent quite a bit of time with Tommy lately, trying to tell him that these things are not stupid, that he is a big boy, just a big younger, and he will get to do all of these things very soon. Of course, very soon in ‘Tommy Time’ is five minutes from now. And I understand that what I am saying to him is not really helping very much. I’m just trying to let him know I’m listening to him, that I am empathetic to his feelings, and that I will make sure he gets to have a chance to do things as well.

Is it working? Who knows? But I’m trying.

Meanwhile, Chris is thriving.

So I went to Back to School night last week, where all the parents go to see their child’s classroom, meet the teacher, and learn about what to expect in the coming year. This is especially important for first time kindergarten parents. Chris’s classroom is full of colorful charts with letters, words, numbers and pictures. It is a very happy, friendly place. There are books everywhere, art easels, and an aquarium with fish. His teacher is very nice – fifteen years experience, graduate degree, committed to making the world a better place for children. It’s going to be a great year for him

Not to mention the fact that she is exceptionally fine looking. So I’m looking forward to parent-teacher conferences this year!

At the end of Back to School night the teacher handed out a packet of information to each of the parents. In the packet were a few sheets of work the children had already done in the first few days of school. The first page was a self portrait, and Chris did a reasonably good job. The second was a page where he had written his name - needs some work, but I could read it. The third page was a list of ‘favorites’ – favorite color (he colored a green circle), favorite food (he drew something resembling a slice of pizza) and his favorite thing to do.

In that area he drew something I could not quite interpret.

Below the drawing, the teacher had written in what he told her he had drawn.

It said, “Playing with my dad.”

It’s great to be The Family Man.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I remember Twinks first day(s) of Kindergarten. I cried every time I dropped her off at school for weeks.

Chris is so lucky to have such an exceptional teacher! :) My mom was a teacher, and even though the Principal told me I couldn't call her "Mommmy" in class, I loved it that she was there.

Poor Tommy. This is the part where he starts to see Chris doing everything "first" - and he wants to go along, at the very least. Soon enough, he will want to be "first" at least once... It's tough being the younger one, always feeling left behind.

But, before you know it, Tommy will find other words besides "stupid" to describe his feelings with. And, he will begin to find his own spot in the world - one where he will be "first", and Chris will just have to wait.

Hang in there, Tommy. Your turn is coming... :)

Sarah said...

that's awesome about the picture.
I love it when kids let us know they appreciate the hours we put into parenting.

The Donut Guy said...

Our daughter is 18 and our son is 12 so they are almost like 2 "only" kids.

For having such a large seperation in age-they get along great.

....most of the time :-)

momma of 2 said...

Wow - this post hits home... Baby Girl cried when Big Guy went to Kindergarten this fall - she hates not being able to look out her toddler room window and see her Big-Guy. But she has gotten better about it. How lucky for Chris to have such a special teacher! Here's to a great Kindergarten year! And Tommy - in a couple of moons you will be old enough to go too!

Emily said...

That is so cool about the picture. It is hard to be the younger one and watch your older sister get to do stuff that you can't. I know! But if you give Tommy something special that he can do that Chris can't it sometimes makes it a bit easier.

Leann said...

How sweet that Chris's favorite thing to do is to spend time with you.

I remember when mine first went off to Kindergarten, I cried..they thrived. *sigh*

JUST A MOM said...

UUUMMM first step of being the ounger one,, IT SUCKS!! I now am faced with ,, She gets to stay up later? She gets to go where? She gets to talk how long? Why can't I stay up that late. Yeah it never ends there family guy, get use to it. Poor Tommy :(

Anonymous said...

Aww

cynic said...

the indecipherable-drawing part was really sweet... i just couldn't help but smile when i read it. =)