Sunday, March 05, 2006

Snow Men Again

We’re continuing the skiing instruction with Chris and Tommy, and we’ve been making great progress.

It’s interesting to me how the boys’ personalities are and are not reflecting in their approach to skiing and their progress. Tommy, the defiant one, the boy who will swing his little fist at you for the slightest perceived transgression or slight, is a cautious, deliberate skier. He goes back and forth across the hill slowly, carefully, really carving his snowplow turns. He listens carefully to our instructions and asks for feedback – “am I doing it right, Dad? Like this?”

Chris, the sensitive, considerate, thoughtful boy, flies straight down the hill, barely turning, on the very edge of control. He cares little for instruction, barely acknowledges it, and is all but dismissive of any attempt to help him.

Since my last skiing post we’ve skied every Saturday and Sunday. We’ve progressed from the rope tow to the chairlift, and we’ve stopped using the ‘racer-chaser,’ the vest/leash device that allows a parent to ski behind a child and keep them somewhat in control. Both boys have mastered the art of the snowplow and can proceed down the easiest green run at our favorite ski mountain. MBW will closely follow one boy; I’ll follow the other, calling out instruction and/or encouragement, as the boys navigate their way down the hill.

Today was going to be our best day yet. In the morning we swung by the local ski shop and bought helmets for everyone – the boys, MBW and me. The boys had noticed helmets on other skiers and thought they were ‘cool’ – something I didn’t expect, but decided to capitalize on. I’ve been concerned that on the green runs served by the chairlift the boys might get hit by someone who’s lost control or is going too fast. Though I’ve never worn a helmet skiing, I think it’s a good idea, and we decided to lead by example and wear them ourselves.

The weather was great as we hit the slopes.

We posed for a photo near the top of the run before heading off. Chris and Tommy picked up right where they left off, skiing with confidence, having fun. The first run was a great success.

The second run started off a carbon copy of the first. Chris led, with me close behind. He smoothly skied the first section of the run, which includes a short but reasonably steep section (for green runs) and headed out to the flatter section. Spying a rise on the side of the run, he headed in that direction, off the groomed portion toward some trees. As he went up the side of the rise he began to lose momentum, so I moved to come up behind him, straddle him, and set him back on the right course. Just as I reached him, my skies wide apart, he turned sharply to the right trying to get off the rise. I turned as well, scooped him up in my arms, but my left ski did not follow my right and we crashed.

As we went down I shielded Chris as best I could, holding him close to my chest. My left knee wrenched hard as my binding did not release. Chris took a face full of snow, but otherwise was unhurt. He dusted himself off and said, “Let’s go, Dad!”

My left knee would not support my weight.

MBW and Tommy were beyond us now, having somehow passed us on the slope without seeing our crash, well on their way to the bottom of the run.

I tested my leg again, hoping somehow I could get down the hill with Chris. The pain was too intense, and I was concerned I’d fall again, perhaps do more damage.

“Dad, what’s wrong?” asked Chris.

“I’ve hurt my leg,” I said. “I’m not going to be able to ski down. Do you think you can follow the trail down to the lift and find Mom?”

“Sure, Dad,” he said with confidence. And off he went.

I wound up riding down the hill in a sled pulled by the Ski Patrol snowmobile. The Medical clinic at the ski resort gave me the happy news – torn ACL and MCL. My ski season is over, and I have orthopedic surgery and several months of rehab ahead of me.

The irony, as I sit here in the La-Z-Boy recliner, ice on my knee in a full length splint, is the safety precautions we took just today. Helmets! We’re the leading edge of safe skiing! Responsible parents modeling correct behavior for our kids! And here I am, a very experienced skier with many double black diamond conquests to my credit, tearing my ACL and MCL on a green run. Excuse me – turn away if you’re offended by profanity, but I have to say it – A FUCKING GREEN RUN.

I’m so disappointed for Chris and Tommy. They had been doing so well, having so much fun, really enjoying the activity and proud of themselves for their improvements. Now the ski season is over for all of us – the best part of the season for beginners/young kids. The weather is nicer this time of year, the snow still good. But MBW cannot take both boys by herself – what if something similar should happen to her while she had both boys? No, we can’t take that chance.

At least we’ve made progress for building on next year. And in a few weeks, soccer will start. Chris has signed up, and as I mentioned in this post, I’ll be his coach.

Which, incidentally, the meeting for rookie coaches is next Saturday.

I’ll look great hobbling in on my crutches.

It’s great to be The Family Man.

9 comments:

beth said...

Oh No!

That's horrible. I hope you're feeling better soon - I've known many to go through the same issues and I know it won't be fun, but hopefully the boys can keep you entertained and maybe even waited on hand and foot with a little sympathy? (Probably asking much, I know.)

On the other hand, my best friend, a big athlete himself, broke his arm in highschool...putting on his pants. He tripped on the cuff, fell wrong and broke the arm but good (needed pins, if I recall). I think it's always the little things that do the most damage. And only when we're not expecting it.

Feel better!

Wesa said...

Oh you poor man! I'm sure this will end up being a lesson for the boys as well.

Bob said...

Oh, that sucks.. I hope the recovery goes smooth.

I tried to ski once. Once. I managed to not injur myself that day, but I knew I better quit while I was ahead.

Avery's mom said...

oh I'm sorry to hear about your accident. just know you did the best thing by protecting your son and that HE was ok
hope you heal quickly and that your soccer meeting is painfree ;)

Storm said...

oy. What is that line? "Our best intentions are fraught with..." tendon tearing, I think it was. Well, hey, at least it didn't happen at the very beginning of ski season.

Have fun on those crutches. Stay away from ice.

Fantastagirl said...

ouch! Listen to your Physical Therapist - make sure you go to one that realizes you are an athletic man...they'll get you back on track ASAP!!

Thanks for the update - the kids look awesome in their ski gear!

Fantastagirl (a/k/a Mommaof2)

Anonymous said...

I hope you heal quickly the kids look great in their helmets could MBW take a son on Saturday and the other Sunday great one on one and the pain of them rubbing in the remainder of the season would make grea blog time :) take care

Hawaiianmark said...

Ouch!

Positive part - you have 4 "feet" to coach/kick with in Soccer if youre still on crutches!

Stay well!

ALoha!

Gaston said...

You tore BOTH your ACL and MCL? Crap, that's a pain. I've recently had surgery too, tore my ACL and both lateral and medial meniscus(not all at once though.)

The surgery itself isn't too bad. Takes about 2 hours on the table, 2-5 days in hospital and then you're home. The recovery's a total pain in the ass though. Takes like 4-6 months before running, but provided you continue working out and get your leg back in shape, you should be able to resume sports and such. However, after everything you go through.. it makes you very cautious of what you do... and hence many ppl never ski again :|