Sunday, March 26, 2006

Dragons devour Tigers

Yes, the sun did rise Saturday morning. The beast did awaken. And the Mighty Green Dragons did roar.

They also fed.

They fed on charbroiled tiger.



Okay, you know I'm kidding here. Just having some fun. But the truth is the Mighty Green Dragons did play Saturday against the Tigers. And even though in this league there is no official scorekeeping, no standings are kept, and coaches are specifically told the point of the game is fun, not winning and losing, it was impossible not to notice that the Tigers did not score a single goal in 40 minutes of play, while the Mighty Green Dragons had half a dozen by halftime.

In my pep talk before the opening kick I told the Dragons we wanted to do two things - do our best and have fun. Not to beat down the other team, not to go out there and win the game - do our best and have fun.


Less than two minutes after the opening kick, taken by the Tigers, Chris scored the first of his two goals, the first goal of the season for the Dragons (yes, as the coaches son he got to be one of the four starters in the opening game). And from there, well, one of my two pre-game objectives had been met - the kids were definitely having fun.

As a parent, much less the coach, it's almost impossible not to be aware of how many goals your kid scores. Chris had two in the first half, I know that. But I'm not sure how many the Dragons had at the end of the half - it was at least six and probably more.

At halftime I told the kids I was proud of them for playing hard and doing their best. I asked if they were having fun and they all said yes.

The second half was more of the same. Chris didn't score, but one boy on our team had four goals himself. As a team we must have had another four on top of that. I'd love to say it was the skill and preparation of the coach. I'd love to say it was the strategic game plan put in by the coach. But the truth is, the kids ran hard, played with enthusiasm - and maybe the ball just seemed to bounce their way. When the game mercifully ended the score, if it had been officially kept, would have been something-teen to zero.

When it was over I gathered the Dragons on the field to lead them in the post game cheer. You know it - "1, 2, 3 - Good Game Tigers!" The kids all shook hands with the Tigers, and parents from both teams made a 'tunnel' for all the kids to run through.

I was wishing I hadn't torn up my knee. While it was so much fun to be out there, coaching the team, coaching my son, I couldn't keep up with the action on the field as much as I wanted to. At this level, the coach is on the field, following the action and calling out encouragement to the kids on the field. The coach has to tell which player to throw the ball in from out of bounds, who gets to do the goal kick, and tell each child where to stand every time there is a stoppage of play. Crutching my way up and down the field made that more challenging.

But I wouldn't have missed this for anything.

And though I write this as though the 'Dining on Roast Tiger' is the thrill of victory, it really is about participating with my son in something he loves. He is excited to have me as the coach of his team. I'm excited to participate with him, to show him that I want to share these experiences with him.

As we gathered for our post-game treat, one of the Dragons asked me, "Coach, did we win?"

"You know, Steve, we didn't keep score," I said, "But I think we did win.'

"Oh," he said, "that's good.'

"Did you have fun?" I asked.

"Yeah!"

"That's great, Steve," I said. "See you at practice Thursday!"

He ran off. I'm glad he had fun.

But I guarantee you he didn't have as much fun as I did.

It's fun to be the coach.

And it's great to be The Family Man.

11 comments:

beth said...

Woohoo! Go MGD!

Hope you're well on your way to mending so you can at least be a little more mobile on the sidelines. But either way I love that you emphasize having fun - that's what stuff like that should be about for a long time.

Fantastagirl said...

Pan has his first soccer practice next tuesday...should be interesting...a bunch of 4 and 5 year olds...

Abel Keogh said...

Go Dragons!

Hari said...

family man I am back after a gap,
Good to know that you are having fun!
Enjoy

Avery's mom said...

This weekend Avery's uncle Roman asked if he could be her soccer coach in about 4 years....I laughed and said of course but I think we're wanting to put her in ballet :) I guess we'll see what her intrest are

Hawaiianmark said...

Please alert ESPN.

We need real athletes stories more often!

Great!

Aloha!

cynic said...

of course it's all about fun at this level, but i'm sure winning by a landslide didn't hurt either! haha...

Avery's mom said...

hey family man, hope you are well. havent heard much from you in the past couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

Family Man are you okay - I hope nothing bad has happened but for you not to write anything for two months I am sure others are worried about you as well. I know you had broken your leg or hurt something but hope all is well with Chris and Tommy and Your Beautiful Wife. Your writing and stories are missed.
We will look forward to your hopeful eventual return.
Best Regard to you though and hope things are well and you are just too busy to write.
Island Girl

Karen said...

Come back Family Man!

Seriously, we all hope you are okay...

Curious Servant said...

It's a great gig indeed.