Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Extraordinarily ordinary

I recently received the following anonymous comment to a post I wrote a few months ago:

“Ordinary and extraordinary are relative words. For you a house, a happy family and a steady job is an ordinary life. Ask the boat people desperate to come into the USA what an extraordinary life is, and chances are they will ask for maybe a fraction of what you take for granted in your everyday life. Or closer home, ask the dirty hack with the trolley in the shady lane - for her, yours is the kind of life she can only live in her dreams.”

When I first read it, I felt bad.

The more I thought about it, the less bad I felt.

But I would like to take this opportunity to explore this idea a bit more.

First, I stand by my post. I am an ordinary man. There is nothing about me that is particularly unique, special, or remarkable. I say that not in a self-deprecating way. I think I have pretty good self esteem. I like myself, I’m proud of who I am. When I look in the mirror I think, other than being old and a bit heavier that I’d like, I’m a pretty decent guy.

My wife and kids love me. I’m reasonably intelligent and hard-working. At every job I’ve ever had, when I’ve moved on people have told me they’ll miss me. So I must be making a positive contribution with my labor in those places I have worked, and gotten along with my peers in the process. In other words, I don’t stick the knife in someone’s back to get ahead.

I go to church on a (somewhat) regular basis. I give a bit to charity. When the neighborhood kid comes to the door selling something for a fundraiser, I buy it.

I live in a modest home in a middle class neighborhood, indistinguishable from any home within 5 miles. Yes, I do have a hot tub and a camping machine – things not found at every house in my neighborhood, but not as uncommon as you might think.

My point in all of this? For where I live, in the time I am living, this constitutes ordinary.

As the anonymous commenter noted, ordinary is relative. I agree with her or her on that point. The ‘boat people’ or the ‘dirty hack with the trolley in the shady lane’ would, no doubt, gladly trade places with me and count themselves extraordinarily fortunate.

I’ll take that one step further. It’s my unscientific opinion that if it were somehow possible to quantify the lifestyle of every single person on earth, I would probably be in the top 20% in terms of material possessions and overall quality of life. I don’t mean this in a bragging way. I’m just assuming that my USA middle (perhaps upper middle) class life, in purely economic terms, provides more security, comfort, material resources and opportunity than 80% or so of everyone else on this earth.

Surely, you’d say, that is more than ordinary.

And measured in those terms, I guess I’d agree.

What I was trying to accomplish in the original post was less about material possessions and more about achievement. I began by describing the time I met Peter Jennings, a man I admired and respected. I believe he was an extraordinary man.

Extraordinary is Abraham Lincoln. Mahatma Ghandi. Madame Curie.

Albert Einstein, born many years ago today, March 14.

Pick your hero – we all have them. People who are extraordinary stand above the rest of us – not by the things they have, but by the things they do. They influence more than the lives of family and friends – they change the world, or contribute something meaningful to society at large.

Last time I checked, I hadn’t done anything like that.

In my post I said, “My little life, pedestrian as it is, suits me just fine. There are those moments, and I’ve shared a few in this blog, when the very ordinariness of my family life is extraordinary to an exponential degree. A hug from Chris. A giggle from Tommy. A knowing glance from my wife. Each one, exceptionally ordinary. Each one, exceptionally extraordinary. And absolutely priceless.”

Where I take issue with the comment is the ‘take for granted’ part. I think I conveyed that by calling out the things that mean the most to me as priceless. Not what I own, but what my family gives me.

Sure, it helps that we are economically comfortable. But I don’t take that for granted either. I’m sitting here tonight, one day removed from surgery to repair my ACL and MCL. My knee, quite frankly, hurts like hell. I won’t walk without crutches for about 4-6 weeks, and I won’t jog for four months. Yet I am grateful that I have health insurance. I’m grateful I live in a place with quality healthcare. As I limp around the house, I’m grateful I can walk to the bathroom – unlike my mother, who spent the last 25 years of her life in a wheelchair, unable to use her legs due to an accident in her own home.

I will be the first to admit I am fortunate. I’ve done nothing to deserve what I have. And I could lose it all tomorrow. As I mentioned in this post, I’ve seen a few examples of how quickly fortune can change.

No, I’m not a boat person. I’m not a ‘dirty hack with the trolley in the shady lane’ – in fact, I don’t even know what that means.

What I am is ordinary. And very grateful to be exactly that.

You know, by now, what I say.

It’s great to be The Family Man.

8 comments:

Abel Keogh said...

Great post. Agree with it. (You were great to work wtih BTW.)

beth said...

I knew what you meant with "ordinary" - and I loved that post. And I think most people knew what you meant too. If I had to choose someone who took things for granted, it wouldn't be you - not from the way you write about your life and your family (unless of course you're one of those fiction-bloggers stringing us helpless hacks along only to one day holler "HA! Got ya!" But I'm thinking no.)

That said, neat re-exploration of the topic and hey - hope the surgery went well and you recover speedily!

Storm said...

uh, what Beth said. I really loved that post. And honestly, for your present audience, which is restricted to those with internet access, that is a pretty ordinary life.

You weren't talking about boat people, you weren't talking about that other thing (I don't know what the hell that is, either). You were talking about life as you know it.

Come to that, does an extraordinary person know that they're extraordinary? My guess would be that most of them would say that they are ordinary men (or women) in extraordinary circumstances.

So yeah, I think that most of us took it that you were celebrating the specialness of ordinary moments.

Anonymous said...

Dear Family Man,
I have been reading you for a long time and never commented before but TODAY yes and I have to say for the bits and glimpses that you share with your readers I would say you are truly an extraordinary man. Truly what makes someone extraordinary is the fact that they are loved by those around them and from your posts I would say that is an understatement. I have watched knock down drag out fights erupt on blogs over people defending having earned the right to a nice life. Some people really don't get it that most people who have a NICE life (great family,nice home, etc.) have worked hard and earned it. Very few win the lottery. So this I say to you Mr. Family man it is my guess that you are one of those who in immortal words of BRUCE "have found the keys to the Universe" choosing to work hard and provide for your family and choosing to be happy with all the choices you have made. I am sure you too have your days when maybe things don't seem as great but go back and read your blog and you will see as I do the guy who writes this Blog indeed has figured it all out!!!!!!!!!!! I know you are a busy guy but I hope you get back to posting more regularly as I have missed your posts.
Always wishing you the best from someone who has also figured it out!!!!!! One more thing - Make no apologies for doing well - you have earned it!

cynic said...

the part where you say you've yet to achieve as much as the people you've mentioned... that reminds me of something i read recently.

julius caesar, upon seeing a statue of alexander the great, broke down and cried. when asked why, he replied "Do you think I have not just cause to weep, when I consider that Alexander at my age had conquered so many nations, and I have all this time done nothing that is memorable."

well we obviously won't be achieving that much in our lifetime, but whatever we achieve will still be something at least. that example can be used as something to spur us on to greater heights!

Kim said...

I stumbled across your post after doing a blog search for fatherhood. I'm glad I did, becuase I thoroughly enjoyed it. The perspective provided was very well written. Thanks for sharing. I guess I was just looking for other fathers/blogs going through similar crazy things. Feel free to check out my blog.

Avery's mom said...

its your writing that is extraordinary and your attitude about being a family man.
I say its great to be Avery's mom and I wouldnt want it anyother way. I hope that its ordinary from this day on

Hari said...

You are not just an Ordinary man , FM,
I don't know what to write for the fear of starting to sound repetitive!
an extra ordinary post once again.
Hari