Friday, June 10, 2005

Anticipation

Chris and Tommy finally went to sleep tonight. For a while there I didn’t they were going to go at all. They’re so excited they can hardly stand it. All day long they’ve been talking about what we’re going to do. You’d think it was Christmas Eve the way these guys are carrying on.

In the morning we leave for a week at the beach in Nags Head, North Carolina.

We’re renting a beach house with my sister and her family. She and her husband have kids about the same age as our two boys. Two years ago we made this same trip, rented this same house, and had a wonderful time. Chris remembers it pretty well and he’s excited to see his cousins again. Tommy says he remembers, but I think he’s picking up on what Chris is telling him.

We’ve shown the boys pictures of our last trip and they’re asking all kinds of questions. How long will it take to get there? Do we get to ride on the plane again? Will all that sand still be there? With each answer they get more and excited.

Tommy did pause for a moment to ask a serious question. “Will there be ghosts there, Dad?”

Lately he has a thing about ghosts. I’ve finally convinced him there are no ghosts in our house, so he sleeps pretty well in his own bed. But the beach house does not have the same Certified Ghost-Free status.

I assured him there would not be ghosts at the beach.

I’m looking forward to the trip for a couple of reasons. This year both boys will really be able to play and have fun. Last time Tommy had just turned one year old. He wasn’t walking very well then, he kept rubbing sand in his eyes, and he couldn’t stay out in the sun very long. This year he’ll really be able to play in the sand, splash in the low tide and do more with Chris. They’re going to have a blast.

It will be good to see my sister again. It was just two weeks ago we were together at my mother’s bedside when she passed away.

My mother joined us two years ago when we rented this house. It was the last time she saw her grandkids.

She was going to be with us again this year. She loved the ocean and was so looking forward to hearing the sound of the waves breaking on the beach, feeling the soft ocean breeze on her face, and watching her grandchildren play.

I would tell you it’s going to be strange to be there without her. But she will be there, sort of.

Long before she died she had asked that when her time came she wanted to be cremated, and her ashes scattered in a tranquil, peaceful place, with her loved ones present.

Life is strange, isn’t it?

One day next week we’re going to get up early, go down to the beach at sunrise, and scatter her ashes in the soft ocean breeze, where the waves break on the shoreline.

No, Tommy, there are no ghosts at the beach.

But there are spirits.

It’s great to be The Family Man.

5 comments:

JUST A MOM said...

I know you will have both a fun and healing time. Enjoy your week. Are you taking the ghost spray? We had spray for monsters, it worked real good. Smelled real good too.

Marie said...

Yes, I imagine that this will be a healing time for you and your sister, especially. Based on the description of your mother's wishes, I cannot imagine a more perfect setting for her final resting place. I get teary-eyed thinking about it.

Avery's mom said...

do your boys understand that the ashess are their grandmother? just wondering if they will comprehend the ceremony.

I'm not even supposed to be here today said...

Crying... so poignant... I'm not lying, I'm am crying and that's why I can't say anything else. I know you'll have a beautiful sunrise ceremony.

:| raven |: said...

two years ago we scattered the ashes of my mother, simultaneous in two different places ... one, her favorite place in Michigan (Belle Isle) and two, her favorite place in Colorado (the mountains).

i will be thinking about you this week.