Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Traveling Mann

I very rarely have to travel for business these days, but this week finds me in Seattle for a major trade show.



In my previous two jobs I would often travel for business. The advertising agency I worked at for the past eight years had many out-of-state clients, and we would often visit them to make presentations and do the wining, dining and schmoozing routine. Prior to that, in my role as a TV news cameraman, I traveled often to cover stories of interest to our local viewers that happened regionally or nationally.

For the most part I enjoyed the travel. I wasn’t on the road so much that it became a grind, but traveled often enough that I was comfortable with the routine and could confidently navigate the various airport, rental car and other challenges that invariably occur.

If not for business travel it is unlikely I would have found myself in Budapest, in Tokyo, on Michigan Avenue in Chicago during the holidays or at Ground Zero in New York less than a year after 9/11.

Now that I’m older and have settled comfortably into my new job, and with two young boys in the house, I’m more than content to stay in town. In my small city in the Rocky Mountains I have a commute that takes only 15 minutes, opposite the main flow of traffic. And what our city lacks in cultural sophistication, it makes up in other ways – great access to outdoor recreation opportunities, manageable traffic, acceptable shopping and, surprisingly, an airport that provides many flight options to get away when necessary.

My point in all of this is that as I stroll down the sidewalks of downtown Seattle I am reminded, and invigorated, by the energy of a real city.

Those of you who travel for business understand that there is usually little time for sightseeing or recreation. You’ll typically go from the airport to a hotel, via the freeway; walk or take a cab to your client’s office or a convention center, work during the day, do the dining/entertaining with the customer in the evening, then get back to your hotel to check voice mail, email, and prepare for the next day. It’s certainly not a leisurely visit to a new place with time to explore.

Still, if you enjoy your job, as I do, it can be interesting to go to a new city and feel the pulse, the energy, of a place you are not familiar with, even if you only get to walk two or three blocks to get from one place to another.

Though I’ve been to Seattle half-a-dozen times in the past, this is my first time downtown. Previously I’ve stayed in the Queen Anne area, a very eclectic part of town. I’ve done the Space Needle before, so I won’t have to try to find time to do that on this trip – something I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to do.

So I’m enjoying the three block walk from my hotel to the convention center. I’m enjoying the view from my 17th floor hotel room window. I’m enjoying the trade show itself, the interaction with many people from around the world; exceptionally bright people (this is a supercomputing trade show, after all!), and the sights, smells and sensory input of a new and vibrant place.

I’ve also enjoyed a very special surprise.

Chris somehow surreptitiously slipped five envelopes into my suitcase before I left for this trip. I discovered them as I unpacked Monday evening. In his very labored, kindergarten-level handwriting, he wrote on each envelope the day of the week – one for Monday, one for Tuesday, etc. In each one that I’ve opened so far I’ve found a drawing he made especially for me.

They are wonderful.

When I called home Monday night he happened to answer the phone, and immediately he had to know two things.

“Dad, did you get my letters yet?” he asked. I told him I did and I was very excited to have something to read from him every day while I was gone.

“Dad, what are your going to bring me when you come home?” was his second question.

I don’t have the answer to that yet.

But it’s going to have to be pretty special to equal the letters he gave me.

It’s enjoyable to be back out on business travel, at least for this trip.

But it will be better to get back home to MBW and the boys.

And of course, it’s great to be The Family Man.

11 comments:

jenu said...

Thats really special :)

cynic said...

i tried that once with my mom when i was 8 or 9... she forgot to open the envelope. talk about an anti-climax!

Abel Keogh said...

glad to hear the trip's goign good.

Scarlet said...

I miss the rocky mountains. For the record. i used to live in Greeley, colorado, then in Denver. I grew up in Wyoming, and i'm glad to be away from it. It was fun as a kid, but about the time i understood that it was all about the grown wankers and not about us kids, i decided it wasn't as good for me. The reason i am telling you all this is that my first choice of school was in seattle, and I wanted to live there desperately. I can't wait to see it again. Have a fun trip, and travel safe. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous, I will not get to go to Seattle for three more days, and I have been anxious for weeks. Lucky you are already there in the midst of the busstle. Have a great trip!

Tess

Traveler said...

Nice story. I'm a fairly new reader to your blog. I regularly travel on business (approx. 15 to 20%), and I enjoy the opportunity to explore new places. As a single person, I'm looking forward to go home to a family.

BTW, Seattle is a great town to just sit, relax and take in those open spaces. I hope you get an opportunity.

momma of 2 said...

oh that is just sooo sweet!

Melis said...

What an incredibly touchy post! And also what an obviously incredible job of raising your son you and your wife are doing! Those are the kinda moments that I just blogged about... the ones that make life worth living! :)

Hawaiianmark said...

Oh, my friend, and how do you use that as discretionary as the meaning implies?

I havent had the chance to read of late, so it's a two fer.

On your blogging post - I started to make it easier to write down the things I experience in the firehouse. I had been doing it on paper for a while - I t made it real the things I see, the feelings I have. I wanted to add my own little surf adventures - conditions, the waves, and the like - so i could rehash the stoke I get from it. it kinda evolved into a daytimer fiasco, but it does my stint as a daily journal.

When I look back, on stuff i wrote, I can see where I was at, so to speak.

I dont travel enough, but I had a saying too my daughter, all the time she was growing up -

Relax, no huhu - (no worry) And she one day at around 13, driving in traffic,a nd I am b'ching 'bout the drivers - she tells me for the first time -

Hey Dad - RELAX. ... No huhu!...

How she knew that I can only guess, she couldnt have been more than 3 or 4 the last time I said it to her...

Aloha

Wesa said...

You could go to Pike Place Market and pick up something for him...maybe a monkfish? Hehe. I bet the boys would love that. Enjoy the city while you're here...Seattle really is a special place and I am proud to live here.

Anonymous said...

I grew up in the Seattle area miss it terribly it has so much to offer I second the Pike Place Market idea
as for the kids maybe a Mariners hat