Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Bust

Well, apparently VamPickle was a bust.

Judging from the response to my last post, the story of VamPickle, the not-quite a vampire, the Vampire who tickles, did not enthrall the vast majority of the audience. So we’ll cut right to the chase, and then move on.

I am Vampickle.

It’s a game I occasionally play with Chris and Tommy, who love to get into their Superman and Batman outfits and play Superheroes. All Superheroes need a super villain. In previous play they have vanquished Doctor Stinker. I thought they would enjoy a having a new evildoer to test themselves against, so I created VamPickle.

Chris and Tommy love to do battle with VamPickle.

But apparently I did not tell the story well enough to make it really engaging. Hey, you win some, you lose some.

I guess my point is simply this. I try hard to engage my kids in fun, interesting play. I want to stimulate their minds, be involved with them, and create a bond with them. Sure, right now they are only five and three years old. I don’t think I can remember a single thing from when I was that age. But I do remember my mom and dad interacting with me throughout my childhood. I remember always feeling like my mom and dad were there for me, would make time for me, would put down what they were doing and listen to me if I needed to talk to them.

I want my boys to feel the same way about me.

And to some extent I feel the same when it comes to blogging. It would not be very interesting if my post said, “Today I tickled Chris and Tommy. They laughed. We had fun. Then everyone went to bed. The End.”

Not only is there no passion, energy and excitement in a post like that, it doesn’t convey what actually transpired.

If you’re going to make the time to read this blog, I want to make it worth your while. And I think at some level I’ve been successful. I know several readers come back a few times each week and are kind enough to leave encouraging comments. I know others stop by regularly and choose to remain silent, and that’s fine as well. I look at the site statistics, and though readership has dropped by about half since I am no longer linked to a very popular blog, there are still quite a few people who visit this site.

So I try to convey some of the sense of fun and engagement I have with my boys into this blog. I tell stories. I try to make it interesting. I try to put into words the pure love I have for my kids, my wife, and my life.

I love my life. I am truly blessed.

Yet as I mentioned recently, I am an Ordinary Man. The stories are simple. They will appeal to some people and not to others. It’s just another slice of life, posted on the Internet, for the viewing pleasure of those who choose to read it.

There’s only so much a person can say about their life.

So I hope you’ll put up with the occasional post that falls a bit flat. Because, truth be told, Life occasionally has its flat moments. As wonderful as my life is, there are stretches, believe it or not, where nothing very interesting happens. So I sit here in front of the keyboard and think to myself, “What the hell can I say tonight? Why should anyone care? I need to post something…”

And that’s when VamPickle raised his ugly head.

My final thought tonight is this. Thank you, each of you, who make time out of your day to check in on the Family Man, his two wonderful boys, his absolutely spectacular wife, and his rambling, verbose posts. It amazes me to see that people are reading this from all over the world – not just theUSA, but from Australia, Scandinavia, Singapore, India, and other places far from here. There’s even someone from the east coast of Africa who stops by – I’m ashamed to admit how Ameri-centric I am that I cannot tell the Country by looking at the dot on the world map.

I’ll try to raise the bar in future posts. Keep the standard high. And I hope you’ll let me know when I fall flat, as well as when I strike a chord that resonates with you.

I don’t want to beg for comments, but if you have a moment I’d love to know why you find my blog worth your time. Some of you are regulars, but for the rest of you, perhaps sometime you could drop a line or two about why you read these posts. If you don’t want to comment in the public forum, click the e-mail link.

I promise I’ll do better next time.

It’s okay to be VamPickle. Once in a while.

But it’s always great to be The Family Man.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I come here often to read your blog.....I am even ashamed to admit I wish my DH were as happy at being a dad to our 4 kids as you are to Chris and Tommy

Unknown said...

I had come back today to commend you for the VamPickle post. I love your imagination and efforts to keep the kids entertained. Chris and Tommy are lucky boys.

Blog readers can be a fickle audience, but I wouldn't change your style for anyone - it's great.

Hari said...

Hey Family Man,
I don't know what makes you think the VAMPICKLE post was not good,, I would be surprised. Yes it was different but It was Good!!!
I love to read your stories,, and your blog is one of my default hompages. Every day I am dissappointed a bit when I see there are no new stories posted !!!
so its alll fine , we like your writing ,, It gives me a glimpse of what life would be !!!
Thansk for writing and for writing welll!!!

beth said...

Aaaah! I wanted to hear about Vampickle!!

I have so far enjoyed all your posts - the story-like ones, the more "typical" ones, and the ones that are in between. I come by because it's a pick-me-up to see a snapshot of a family with a dad who clearly loves his boys and his wife and feels it's worth writing about. So often it's only the broken things that get documented.

Please don't change your stories - or even worse, heaven forbid, stop writing them. After all, where else am I going to read about an "ordinary" Western-Vampire-Sherriff?

Sarah said...

I am similar to Katey- you are so happy to be a dad and sometimes my husband isn't. I also just love hearing happy stories about families. And I like your writing style.

Please keep writing and don't be scared by the fact that I check a few times a day- I just have a lot of time on my hands to check on others' blogs. :)

Michelle said...

I don't think your post fell flat, I think we were just all waiting to see the next installment. I don't comment much but I check your blog daily for updates. It's refreshing to read stories from a man who obviously loves his family. I have two about the same age as yours so I can also relate to a lot of your stories.

Anonymous said...

Vampickle, shmampickle---so some thought it a bit flat--don't sweat it guy, you are a fine writer and a great "family man". I read every post now and always enjoy it. Not just the ones with the boys, but the more poignant ones, say, about your mother, or about your old cat, the human interest beyond family interest stuff. Oh, and you are read here in Canada too!

Bernard Shuford said...

Love your blog. It gives me a lot of inspiration and energy as a father of two myself. VamPickle cracked me up and reminded me of just how much I love to hear my kids laugh. I'm not sure I would play that character myself, but I thought it was a great story with a great hook. Well written. Keep it up. It wasn't quite as good as the Roman Centurion, but it was great. Thanks!

Jennifer Lynn said...

I stop in often to read your blog, I love it! I don't always comment, but that doesn't mean I didn't like it. You write wonderfully, keep it up! Chris and Tommy are very lucky boys, and we're lucky readers too! David's not your only Canadian reader!

Curious Servant said...

You are doing fine. Stay on it.

Storm said...

psh

I liked VanPickle. It was creative.

Yes, I'm a lurker. Big time. If I don't have anything witty to add, I usually don't say anything. But that doesn't mean I didn't (or don't) enjoy the story(-ies).

It's funny though, isn't it? Sometimes, one writes a post that they think is great. They sit back and wait for the comments to roll in, expecting great feedback. When it doesn't happen, one starts to second-guess one's self.

Anyway, I promised to de-lurk, and so I will.

Debbie said...

I love your blog. I can relate about comments -- sure you want to know what people are thinking, but then again they'd probably have a blog if they were into posting! Every once in a while, I'll read your post to my DH because it sounds like something he would have written if that was his thing. Thanks for alwaying raising the bar.

Honey said...

I'm still here and reading :)

Wesa said...

Busts can happen sometimes. It's a great way to compare the really good posts that make me get goosebumps to the ones that make me giggle or just nod with appreciation of your time. Keep up the great blog!

Anonymous said...

Hello Family Man,
I had a friend turn me on to your blog a month or so ago, being a step father and soon to be father, I love your writing.

I get excited about it by reading your blog, I already have 2 daughters ages 4 and 7 (who already have me wrapped around their fingers. I just hope I can be as good a father to them as you are to your boys.

LaughingJack

JUST A MOM said...

OOOOOOOOOO this is what you have to do to get comments HUH. I thought just maybe I was the very improtant blog that you were no longer linked to. But go figure UUMMMM I went and checked, your still linked to mine. So I am not that person. Thanks for the bubble bust there family guy. hehe Even when the best are on top, they stumble. I don't come with any expections at all. I just happen to like readin your stuff.

Anonymous said...

I am fairly new to your blog..but I will admit I have sat and gone thru the archives to catch up. My son is 3 1/2.
I have no clue what else to say..I am still new to this blogging things (this is the 1st time I have ever made a comment)
Your stories rock..and thank you for sharing them with the world.

Stacey said...

So VamPickle is a stinker in the real world. So what? Write what you love and love your family. Even if all of your posts were ordinary, your joy of them shines through. That's what makes it brilliant, not winsome words...

Yes, I like to be entertained, but it's not the be-all and end-all. Being a good dad is.

Anonymous said...

What makes you think Vampickle wasn't a good post? I thought it was adorable, as well as a typically creative (typical for you, that is) way to write about a fun game you share with your kids. I'm with the rest of the mostly-lurker, sometimes-commenter crowd--love your attitude and your writing, and I eagerly read each new installment, but just don't often comment because I don't have much to say beyond "love it!"

It's great to read The Family Man.

:)

Marie said...

I love your blog and all that you share with us, your readers. Keep up the great stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

The bits and pieces that you reveal about your life enlightens me.

You have made me realise the many beautiful things that happen in my life, and of course, to learn to take negative stuff and comments lightly.

You might not know, but thank you. =)

Anonymous said...

The bits and pieces that you reveal about your life enlightens me.

You have made me realise the many beautiful things that happen in my life, and of course, to learn to take negative stuff and comments lightly.

You might not know, but thank you. =)

Jen said...

I love how un-apologetic you are about being a Dad. It's great to see someone besides my husband that enjoys it as much as you guys do.

I got here through Waiter Rant and I'm glad he mentioned you becuase this is a great blog. Thanks for sharing your love and enthusiasm with me.

Emily said...

I loved your Vampickle post! In fact I love your whole blog. It always brings a smile - or sometimes makes me cry! I love reading about a dad who really cares, and wants to be in his childrens lives. so many dads these days don't really care too much. I love how much you do care. one day when i get married i pray that i get a husband who loves our kids as much as you love yours. keep up the great work family man. thank you.

Anonymous said...

I'm anonymous only because my blog is for family only, I don't want random people going to it!! I used to get here by clicking in a link in that "very popular blog", but when it disappeared, I just googled you and bookmarked you. I'll keep coming.
-Anne

momma of 2 said...

I come here everyday - sometimes twice, just to see what this great daddy is doing with his kids...I just don't always comment... First day of school was yesterday - hard on me..so I didn't comment much on anyone...was feeling a little low.

Anonymous said...

I drop in when I can to read your stories, which remind me to cherish my own two children. I enjoy your creative approaches to the stories you tell. And I was truly touched by your story about the swingset for your boys. Some stories resonate with me more deeply than others, but that's ok, even expected. What I really love is that, while others might choose to whine or complain, or take a more cynical approach, you put a relentlessly positive spin on life with young kids. It helps me keep my own sense of humor. You remind me to love my own life and family, for truly I would not want any other. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I *really* wanted the VamPickle story...

Obviously, I'm running a wee bit behind this week on my reading/posting/commenting, but I hope you have figured out by now that there was/is some serious interest in the mysterious VamPickle...

It is a rare and special thing that you allow us a glimpse of your life, and your wonderful family. Tell the stories the way *you* want to, and they will never fall flat. Not everyone who reads here may like it (remember the old saying "you can't please everyone all of the time"?) but that's OK. I'm not sure that in all of the history of publishing that ANY author has ever written ANYthing that has been met with 100!% approval...

At the end of the day, this blog is yours - write it however you want to. Don't worry about pleasing anyone but yourself, and enjoy the creative outlet - and the legacy of love that you are writing for your children.