Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Cool Summer

It’s been quite a summer for The Family Man as well as for the Mann family. How to recap an entire summer in a blog post? Let’s try.

In my last post I described our first trip of the summer in The Camping Machine. Over the rest of the summer we took six additional trips. When all was said and done we visited three National Parks and four state parks, a beautiful mountain lake and a very nice local campground. Chris and Tommy really enjoy camping and have become very good travelers in the car, as many of these trips required several hours over the road. For those of you who have not pulled a large trailer over mountain passes, it adds quite a bit of time to the journey. The good news is you can make a ‘pit stop’ almost anywhere – and believe me, we have.

We took quite a few pictures, but I’ve become a bit leery about posting photos of the boys on this site. Without going into much detail, a couple of emails I’ve received have made me reconsider posting those photos. Which is sad, because I’ve taken some very nice pictures that would add interest and context to this post, but you’ll just have to use your imagination.

Some of you may remember I signed up to coach Chris’s soccer team. We had a great spring soccer season. Chris had a lot of fun, he scored a dozen or so goals and his team went (unofficially) 6-2. I say unofficially because this is a recreational league, and no scores are standings are kept. Still, it’s hard not to keep a running mental tally as the games go on of the score and which team had more goals.

But there’s more to the soccer story. Tommy turned four years old this summer, making him old enough to play in the city rec soccer league just like his older brother. Chris also has a summer birthday, and he turned six. So just as Tommy finally became old enough to play, Chris turning six moved him up into the next age group in the same program. That means both boys were going to play soccer in the fall session, running from mid-August through mid-October, but they could not be on the same team. Chris asked me if I was going to coach his team again, and of course I said yes. Then Tommy says, “You’re going to coach my team too, aren’t you, Dad?”

Well, how could I say no?

So the past seven weeks I’ve coached two soccer teams. Two different weekly practices, two games on Saturday. It’s been very busy. It’s also been a lot of fun, even if it has been hectic at times. This Saturday will be the last game of the season for both boys, both teams. Form a win/loss perspective this ‘season’ has been a disaster. Chris’s team won their first game 2-0, and has lost every game since. Tommy’s team has done even worse- they have not won a single game, and they have failed to score a goal in 6 of the seven games. They have been steamrolled every time. Now I see why we don’t keep an official score and standings for these leagues – the teams that are just aging into a new age group get crushed during that first season.

I took a new job over the summer. It’s a much better position for me, a much better fit for my skills and temperament than my last position. The unfortunate thing is that this new job requires a 30-mile commute each way. So I am enjoying my work more but I am missing out on family time. Not the happiest situation, but life is a series of trade-offs.

We had to spend a small fortune to have new windows installed and the stucco finish on our home removed and replaced. We were having some leaks around some of the windows. Once the windows were installed and the stucco removed we discovered the builders had used substandard material when building the house, so we had to replace nearly all of the wood outside the frame of the home. The project took six weeks and completely emptied our savings account. The good news is we prevented serious mold problems from developing in the home – which would have exacerbated Tommy’s asthma problem significantly.

MBW had one of those ‘zero’ birthdays last month – you know, a birthday when you turn a year that ends in a zero. I won’t way which one, but you can probably guess. Actually, if you were to see her you would guess 10 years to low, so she continues to look fabulous. I will be the first to admit that I am the last person you should ask for advice regarding the big issues of life, but guys, listen to me on this one – choose your life partner carefully. If you marry well, anything else that happens to you will be easier to deal with if you have selected the right partner. Conversely, if you choose your life partner poorly, no other run of good fortune will compensate for a bad marriage.

I continue to struggle with the same themes/issues I have talked about in this blog for the past year or so. A middle-aged man on the downhill side of life expectancy, working in Corporate white-collar America, blessed with good health, a wonderful family and a decent income; but feeling trapped in the industrial bureaucracy, beginning to think he has forfeited a chance to do something he is passionate about. Wondering, in fact, what he is passionate about. Between the job, family responsibilities and a failing struggle to stay in shape, finding there is not any time to ponder what he really wants to do. Worried the sand is slipping ever more quickly through the hourglass, trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) not to dwell on the many missed opportunities in his life and hoping not to miss the next opportunity that may or may not present itself. Comforted by the fact he is doing the right thing (most of the time) for his family, wondering if that is all there is left for him.

So you can see it has, in fact, been a busy summer.

One of the other themes I’ve touched on in this blog is the desire for our family to be a family that does things, not one that watches things. That’s why we bought The Camping Machine and made a strong effort to get out and go places this summer. I feel good about what our family did this summer. I really hope that once our kids are off to college (hopefully on some kind of scholarship!) they’ll look back on these years and remember the trips we took and the fun we had. They may not remember this summer specifically - watching Old Faithful erupt, running their hands over dinosaur bone fossils, standing on a ledge overlooking the Colorado River 1,000 feet below. They’ll have the photos, if not the memories. I hope they will look back at what we did, and want to continue to be active and engaged in life, not passively watching life go by.

That’s one reason why I’ve not been a more active blogger. I’m trying to do things, and that leaves less time to write about things. And I don’t seem to be able to sit down and write a quick update post and think anyone will care enough to read it. I’ve tried to make each of my posts substantial, to tell a story, convey an idea or thought. That sort of writing takes time for a blockhead like me. When I first started this blog it was new and exciting, and I was passionate about it. But it has become more and more difficult to keep up, and the passion has waned. While I’m not prepared to give this up altogether, and do hope to post more frequently than I have recently, I really don’t know how often or substantially I’ll be able to post.

So for those of you have continued to check back once in a while, thank you. I’ll keep the blog up on Blogger and try to post when I can. I’ve long since stopped checking the site stats every day like I used to. Way back when, in the days when Waiter Rant linked to this blog, I have about 250 readers a day. It fell off and held steady at about 50 or so a day for a long time. Last week it was down to 8. If I posted more often, it wouldn’t have dropped off so much.

But honestly, I’ve been too busy to worry about that. Still, for those of you who continue to check in every so often, thank you. If I don’t think I’ll be able to post again, I’ll take this down so you don’t have to wonder. As long as it’s still up, it is my intention to try to post something when I can.

So – until the next update,

It’s still Great to be The Family Man.

12 comments:

The Donut Guy said...

Hey Family Guy, I have your blog on an RSS feed, I read it whenever you put a post up.

I enjoy it tremendously, even if you only post twice a year:-)

beth said...

You're back! :) I'm so glad you're not officially throwing in the towel - but with a summer like that - wow! No time for blogging, and maybe that's a good thing. Certianly the boys are going to thrive because of it.

I check in probably once a week now - or every other week if I get busy too - but it thrills me to see a new post from you, so thanks for dropping back in and giving us another little glimpse of the family. Looking forward to seeing you around when you've the time!

Rain King said...

I don't want you to just do quick updates either. The draw of your blog is the story telling ability you have. So even if you post less often, I would rather have that than what we might get if you tried to do quick updates.

Hawaiianmark said...

Thank you.

Just keep them coming whenever you can.

I will keep checking.

Aloha!

cynic said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cynic said...

great to know you haven't abandoned the blog... but could i make a small request?

if you ever (and i hope you never) decide to stop blogging here, please don't take the site down. just leave it here, and perhaps leave a notice somewhere that you've discontinued it... that way i'd still be able to read some of the entries whenever i need to feel warm and fuzzy.

hope to read more entries from you soon!

Anonymous said...

Like everyone else, I'm glad to see you have posted again.

It certainly seems as though you have had a wonderful summer with your boys. And although I am personally familiar with long commutes and home-improvement projects gone awry, I know that there is always more to every bloggers story than what we see on the screen. I hope that you will find a little bit of time every now and again to post here. I enjoy your words, and look forward to reading more.

Sarah said...

sounds like a great summer.
as far as memories are concerned, I feel like my family was always camping and doing things together, and I love it. My mom says we really only went camping 2x a year or so, but my memories are very vivid. So keep on doing it!

We camp at least twice or 3 times a year even with an under-2-year-old. It's awesome.

JUST A MOM said...

wel it is GREAT to see/read you again. I was just going to go to the post above, but thought I surley would miss something in this one. So I read it to the end I am glad you had a great summer. Now I will go back and read the post above.
Oh and sad abotu what ever emails you got about your pictures.

Anonymous said...

Hi Family Man,
I was glad to see your return and hear about the summer. I hope you will continue and not give up blogging. The only reason your readership dropped was like you said because of the lack of posts but everyone out hears loves your stories and insights into life. Sometimes just hearing what someone else thinks helps bring clarity to other people's situations. I am guessing your wife turned 40 and I am guessing you made it a wonderful birthday this year. 40 is so different today and most people I know who are 40 do feel really young so the world has evolved in that respect. I have never agreed with you more than on your choice of one's life partner. You could not have said it better so I won't try to add just know that I agree with you 100%. I waited a long time to get married compared to most people and I married my best friend and life is more wonderful than I ever imagined but unfortunately most people do not choose wise when they marry. I am glad you did and I know I did so there are some who do. Keep with your writing and don't think it has to be a big post. Just a paragraph to let us know what you are up to would be great and you will have your 250 or more readers back.
Your Faithful reader

Sngs Alumni said...

It looks like you're on the right track. Once you have a family, you have to live for them, and not for yourself anymore. Camping machines and making sure that your kids have a well-rounded education - you know that you're putting off the furthering of your OWN education (that sense you mentioned that you weren't doing something passionate), but you've got your priorities in order. Stay on track, introduce your kids to the greater world out there (past the borders of corporate america!), get them to eat new stuff, drink new things, see bigger stuff, hear unusual noises... and they'll be better men for it.

Oh, and about the pictures of your kids - I would love to see them, but I think that you'd really be better off NOT putting pictures of them up because I think it makes them unnecessary targets... not that everyone's an online stalker, but you never know. But a blog without pictures is boring, so you might want to add pictures from events which don't feature you and your kids... take photos of generic peripherals, or just take pictures of your shoes, or a finger pointing to a sign, or a real close up of an eye or something.

I'm sorry about the knee - a good friend recently tore his up in a soccer game, and he was so mad at himself because he was only warming up and not in the game proper... similar to the angst you felt on the green slope, I guess.

- hyperreality.blogspot

Mama Kautz said...

Glad you are back Fam Man!!