Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Graveyard Shift

I’m writing this as I sit in my work cubicle. According to the clock in the bottom right corner of my computer screen, it’s 11:25 p.m. Wednesday evening.

I’m back in the office tonight, as I have been the past two nights, working on The Project From Hell. We’re preparing for a major trade show that hits in exactly three weeks, and I have a ton of work to do.

So what I’ve been doing each day this week is going in to work as usual, 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., going home, eating a quick dinner, playing with Chris and Tommy until bedtime, reading books, putting them to bed, then coming back into the office for three hours or so, and going home.

Tonight, while reading bedtime stories to the boys, I fell asleep. Chris had to poke me and say, “Dad, wake up!”

And it’s going to be this way for the rest of this week, for sure. Perhaps into next week as well.

So there won’t be a post of much value until the weekend at least.

A couple of quick notes:

In a post a couple of weeks ago I talked about posts I was going to write – and haven’t yet. Specifically, I said I would write about a phone call I received, an idea I had and a sports-related story. The idea I had was including photos in this blog, so I did write about that, but have yet to put up any photos. I haven’t had a chance to write about the phone call or the sports thing. I will, but it probably won’t be in the next post or two.

Tommy’s at the age where he asks a lot of questions. Most of them start with “Why?” Some of them are confirmations of things or concepts he is pretty sure he knows or understands, but wants, well, confirmation. It’s always interesting to hear his questions. I try to answer them as best I can.

Tonight, when I was playing outside with both boys, Tommy asked me, “Dad, all adults are grown-up, right?”

To which I replied, “Well, most of them. Not all.”

I have a post about that as well. I’ll get to it one of these days.

Well, back to work.

It’s (usually) great to be The Family Man.

7 comments:

bill yjoebob said...

One of the great motivations I had for writing pumpkindiary was a letter that my maternal grandfather wrote to me when I was 10. I still have it (somewhere). He wrote it soon after he found out that he had inoperable cancer, and it is one that i have re-read many, many times in my life. It is obvious to me that, while on face value it is a whimsical letter from a grandfather to his grandson, there are themes and ideas in it that tell me about him as a man.

One of the things that he writes in it is that being an adult doesn't necessarily entail being a grown-up. It took him until the age of fifty, he says, to get half grown-up, and he was still working on the other half.

Words to live by.

bill yjoebob said...

ps.

I spent two years on graveyard. I feel your pain.

Storm said...

when I was little, my mom aften fell asleep while telling me bed-time stories.. Then would begin with a little princess named Storm that everyone loved and end with things like Storm getting into an elevator and going to her office and drinking water--just random things, because somewhere along the line mom had dozed off but kept talking.

It was my favorite part of bedtime. ;)

I hope you get through it OK (I'm sure you will), but in the meantime, you just might give Chris and Tommy some, er, interesting memories.

beth said...

I feel your pain of the long hours - hope they pass quickly!

From the people I'm surrounded with on a daily basis, I wouldn't say that most adults are grown up - I would say that a very select few have managed to grow up, the rest are just acting (and mostly not well.) Looking forward to neat posts in the future

Abel Keogh said...

I am now fully imersing myself in the project from hell. :-)

momma of 2 said...

Projects from hell are horrible - hope it goes well. and I am sure the kids can't wait for you to be back to the day shift. Graveyard is no fun.

Hawaiianmark said...

Hope you get a break soon.

And the project comes of hassle free.

Aloha!